What is the procedure in case of a fire?
Signet Apartments have a policy that no-one should put themselves at risk in the case of the fire. If you discover a fire and it can be dealt with without personal risk, use the nearest fire extinguisher or fire blanket provided to put it out.
- Always stand between the fire and the exit
- Make sure you use the correct type of extinguisher for the fire. Never use an extinguisher on oil or fat pan fires – use a fire blanket or a wet towel that has been wrung out.
- Read and understand the instructions printed on the side of the fire blanket and fire extinguishers.
ON HEARING THE FIRE ALARM
- If there is a fire in the building, you are usually safest in your own home, unless you are affected by the heat or smoke. However, if in doubt get out.
- Use the stairs, not the lift, when leaving the building.
- If it is too dangerous to follow your escape route because the stairs and hallways are filled with smoke, ring 999 and stay inside the safest room. Keep the door closed and use towels or bedding at the bottom of the door to bloke the smoke.
- If you are trapped, go to the balcony or window – but don’t think about jumping. Wait for the fire rescue service.
- In the event of a fire, never assume that someone else has called 999. Make sure your neighbours know about the fire. Bang on their doors on your way out.
In the event of a fire, please follow the above and instructions and call Signet Apartments as soon as it is safe to do so on +44 (0)1223 709 409